By far the most populous country in Africa, Nigeria wants to know about its 115 million inhabitants.
Nigeria lies came into being in 1914 when the former British Colony and Protectorate of Southern Nigeria was amalgamated with the Protectorate of Norther Nigeria. With a total surface area of approximately 923,768 square kilometers. Nigeria is the tenth largest country in Africa. It is, however, by far the most populous country and, with the 1991 census figures, almost one in every five Africans is a Nigerian. There are more than 350 ethnic/linguistic groups, and a variety of social groups in the country.
This project is funded by UNFPA and executed by UNSD, UNFPA and the Government of Nigeria (National Population Commission).
The project aims at:
1. Carrying out a demographic and health survey. To measure impact indicators through a sentinel survey, one baseline and at least four biannual follow-up surveys will be conducted during the life span of the project.
2. Carry out preparatory activities for 2001 population and housing census, including census mapping and utilization of digital mapping and GIS.
3. To prepare databases from 1991 and demographic surveys for integration of population variables in the development planning process. To assist the Government of Nigeria in carrying out the above-mentioned objectives UNFPA has approved the project NIR/98/P40.
The project includes the following:
A. Two posts for international experts:
1. A census technical adviser (CTA). -To assist the National Population Commission in planning, organizing and execution of 2001 population and housing census including pilot censuses and other pre-testing activities. - To assist the Government in evaluation and in-depth analysis of the 1991and the demographic and health survey including sectorial and sub-national projections.
2. Technical Adviser on GIS The expert is expected to assist NPC in the digitization of thematic maps, automation of map retrieval system and establishment of GIS based on the available maps and data resources of Nigeria.
B. Equipment. Computers and other cartographic equipment for updating and digitizing census maps and establishment of GIS system in NPC. The first batch of equipment is already ordered.
C. Training The project contains international training in the fields of cartography, census planning, data processing and survey data evaluation and analysis.
By implementing this project it is expected that a set of reliable , accurate and current demographic, socio-economic and health data will be available for socio-economic planning, research and evaluation population programmes. Moreover, a set of indicators for international comparability will be prepared.