The Netherlands Associate Experts Programme
The Netherlands Associate Experts Programme provides university graduates the possibility of acquiring work experience with international organizations by contributing to policy formulation and implementation of activities in the field of development co-operation.
The programme is open to
- candidates from the Netherlands with Dutch nationality
- candidates from developing countries (See list of eligible developing countries)
The next call for applications will be advertised in spring 2013
Positions for 2013 will be advertised in spring
Please note that only for positions sponsored by the government of the Netherlands which are administered by UNDESA there is direct application procedure to the UN. For all other positions please refer to the donor countries website.
Please follow the application procedures described within the announcements.
When is the deadline to apply?
Deadline for the Netherlands Associate Experts Programme 2012 administered by UNDESA was April 30th 2012. The next call for application will start in spring 2013.
How long is an assignment as an Associate Expert sponsored by the Netherlands?
Appointment is for a period of one year, with a possibility of an extension, depending on the performance, and may be extended for a maximum period of three years in total.
What qualifications are required?
• Applicants must have an educational background relevant to international cooperation and possess either a university degree at Msc or MA level and two years of full time relevant experience, or a degree at BSc or BA level plus a minimum of three years relevant working experience.
• English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. Depending on the duty station, excellent oral and written English or French is essential. Proficiency in another United Nations language may be required depending on the job description.
• Proficient computer skills.
How can I apply?
Only applications for a specific vacancy will be considered. You should send your application, together with a scanned signed copy of your Personal History Statement (Application Form) via email to UN DESA. Only complete applications [motivation letter and signed Personal History Statement (application form)] will be considered. Please note that the application phase for 2012 is over.
Who evaluates and interviews candidates?
The preliminary assessment of candidacies is carried out by the Associate Experts Programme Office in UNDESA who take into account language skills, academic background and professional experience. A short-list is then submitted by the Associate Experts Programme Office to the donor government for further processing.
Where and when will the final interview take place?
Only short-listed candidates will be interviewed directly by the representatives of the various United Nations departments. The interviews can be telephonic, via video or in-person, and can be done solely by the receiving office or in collaboration between the donor and the department. Once this process is finalized, the short-listed candidates will be informed of the final results.
Short-listed candidates will be contacted appr. in June/July.